Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code Troubleshooting and Repair Help
What Does Whirlpool Washer Error Code F21 Mean?
The Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code indicates a long drain time. This error is triggered when the washer has been trying to drain the water for over 8 minutes and is still not successful.
If you’re a proud owner of a Whirlpool washing machine, you’re well aware of the reliability and efficiency these appliances offer. However, even the most reliable appliances can occasionally run into issues, and error codes are one way your washer communicates these issues. One such error code that Whirlpool washer owners may encounter is the F21 error.
Common Causes of the F21 Error Code
Several issues can lead to the Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code:
- Clogged Drain Pump Filter: Over time, small items or debris can get caught in the drain pump filter, causing a blockage that prevents the washer from draining properly.
- Faulty Drain Pump: If the drain pump is damaged or malfunctioning, it may not be able to pump the water out of the washer.
- Blocked Drain Hose: If the drain hose is blocked or kinked, it can restrict the flow of water, leading to the F21 error code.
How to Fix the F21 Error Code
Now that we know what causes the F21 error code, let’s look at how to fix it:
- Check and Clean the Drain Pump Filter: Disconnect the power and remove the lower front panel of your washer to access the drain pump filter. Check for any debris and clean it out.
- Inspect the Drain Pump: If the drain pump filter is clear, the next step is to check the drain pump. If it’s visibly damaged or not working when the washer should be draining, you may need to replace it. Below is a link to a common front load Whirlpool washer drain pump. Be sure to verify your washer’s model number before order the drain pump so you order the correct pump for your model washer. (See how to access Whirlpool washer drain pump below).
- Check the Drain Hose: Ensure that the drain hose isn’t kinked or blocked. If it is, straighten it out or clean it to allow the water to flow freely.
- Ask A Washer Technician: If you’ve tried the above steps and the error code is still appearing, you can always ask for help in our Whirlpool Washer Repair Questons Forum.
How To Access The Drain Pump On A Whirlpool Front Load Washer
Accessing the drain pump on a Whirlpool front-load washer involves several steps listed below:
- Unplug the Washer: Safety first! Always unplug the washer from the electrical outlet before you start working on it to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Remove the Front Panel: The front panel is typically held in place by screws. Locate these screws (usually found at the bottom front of the machine) and remove them. Once the screws are out, gently pull the panel forward and then down to remove it.
- Locate the Drain Pump: With the front panel removed, you should be able to see the drain pump. It’s usually located at the front of the washer, towards the bottom. It’s a small device with two hoses attached to it – one coming from the tub and the other leading out to the drain.
- Access the Drain Pump Filter: The drain pump filter is usually located at the front of the pump. It’s designed to catch lint, coins, and other small items before they reach the pump. To access it, you’ll typically need to unscrew the cap that holds it in place. Be prepared for some water to come out when you do this – it can be helpful to have a towel or bucket handy.
Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code Repair Part – Drain Pump Assembly
Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code Repair Help
If the Whirlpool Washer F21 Error Code is still showing up and you can’t figure out the problem, don’t worry you are not alone. Our qualified repair specialists are ready to help in our Washer Repair Forum. A qualified appliance repair technician can diagnose and help you fix more complex issues, such as a faulty control board, that might be causing the F21 error. Remember, while it can be frustrating to deal with an error code, with the right help and guidance, you can get your washer back to working order.
If you are uncertain about the drain pump you need for your model washer, get your model number off the washing machine and ask for help in our Appliance Part Questions Forum.